Knowing your brand’s personality and soul empowers you to weave that personality throughout all your marketing efforts, from blogs and social media posts to the graphic look and feel of your website and collateral.
One approach to figuring out how your personality can sing throughout your marketing efforts is called “brand archetypes.” Rooted in psychology, brand archetypes help shape how people see and connect with your brand.
Let’s dive into the world of brand archetypes together – what they are, why they matter and how businesses can use them to make lasting connections with their audience.
Discovering Brand Archetypes
Think of brand archetypes as universal symbols or characters that are deeply ingrained in our minds, thanks to the famous psychologist Carl Jung. These symbols represent basic human feelings and desires, providing a guide for telling stories and communicating.
In the branding world, they act like a compass, helping to define your brand’s personality and create a consistent and relatable image.
Meet the 12 Brand Archetypes
There are twelve main archetypes, each with its own vibe and characteristics, but some are more closely related than others. Check them out and the accompanying wheel to see the cores and characteristics of each— which do you think matches most closely with your organization’s personality?
- The Innocent: Pure, optimistic, and wholesome.
- The Sage: Wise, knowledgeable, and reflective.
- The Explorer: Adventurous, free-spirited, and always up for new experiences.
- The Hero: Courageous, determined, and driven by a sense of purpose.
- The Rebel: Rebellious, unconventional, and loves challenging the status quo.
- The Magician: Visionary, transformative, and can make dreams come true.
- The Regular Guy: Relatable, down-to-earth, and authentically genuine.
- The Lover: Passionate, sensual, and all about building close connections.
- The Jester: Playful, lighthearted, and adds humor to life.
- The Caregiver: Compassionate, nurturing, and always ready to help others.
- The Ruler: Authoritative, responsible, and focused on creating order.
- The Creator: Innovative, imaginative, and driven to bring ideas to life.
Why Brand Archetypes Work
- Emotional Connection: Archetypes tap into universal emotions, creating a strong emotional bond between your brand and your audience.
- Stand Out: Archetypes help your brand be unique in a crowded market by having a personality that resonates with specific groups of people.
- Consistency: Archetypes give your brand a consistent personality, making sure your message is clear across different platforms.
Finding Your Brand Archetype
- Look Inward: Think about your brand’s values, mission, and personality to find the archetype that fits you best.
- Know Your Audience: Understand your audience and what they like to choose an archetype that connects with them.
- Check Out the Competition: See what other brands in your industry are doing to find opportunities to stand out.
Brand Archetype Services
In the ever-changing world of branding, using brand archetypes is like having a timeless and effective strategy to build a strong, relatable identity. By understanding what your audience loves, you can pick the archetype that resonates the most, creating lasting connections and making a memorable impact on your consumers’ hearts and minds.
We’ve led our clients through workshops to help them discover their brand archetype – and our own! (We think we’re a mix of Jester and Sage.) If you want to go on this journey to discover your brand archetype and weave it into your marketing efforts, drop us a line!